Wednesday, January 18, 2012

I have done a foolish thing...

I started reading a book.  I didn't really mean to.  I've had this book downloaded on the ipad for a few months.  I read the first few pages awhile ago and didn't get into it.  Two days ago - in spite of the fact that I have lessons to prepare, piano to practice, children to feed and care for, a house to clean, and a level A Japanese test to study for - I picked it up again.  But this time I read a little farther and did get into it.  Now I keep reading instead of preparing, practicing, nurturing, cleaning, and studying.  I looked up some classic symptoms of addiction:
  • Difficulty cutting down or controlling the addictive behavior.
  • Social, occupational, or recreational activities becoming focused around the addiction, and important social and occupational roles being jeopardized.
  • Becoming preoccupied with the addiction, spending a lot of time on planning, engaging in, and recovering from the addiction.
I find that I am displaying most of these symptoms.

I am very nervous about my Japanese test.  My sensei keeps telling me not to be nervous, but she also told me that if I do well, she will feel "so happy" (as she clasped her hands to her heart for emphasis).

I fear that I am going to shame my teacher.

Nevertheless, last night I quickly did my homework in about 10 minutes, and then read my book for an hour. 

We did some fun things over our holiday break.  Our iphones take terrible pictures, though, and our camera is broken, so I'm not getting good pictures of anything we are doing.

This is the Kawasaki Good Times Museum.

These are from a fun children's museum in Osaka.



This was so cute.  There was a little town set up with a post office, medical clinic, hair salon, grocery store, and a few other shops.  All the shops had mailboxes, and the kids could dress up like mailmen and deliver letters that were actually addressed to the different shops.  


With the holiday over now, Bear is settled back in school, and Beaver back in preschool.  Bear has started reading the Harry Potter books.  He has read the first one twice, and is halfway through the second one now.  Guess who, besides me, is a bit of a book addict?

Funny things Beaver has said lately:

"Daddy, you are a bad guy because your eyeballs are down."

Upon being told it had not been raining enough to make puddles to jump in:
"I know, how about we turn the rain on very much, and then when we go to the bus stop to pick up Bear, there will be puddles to jump in!"
Me: "How do we turn the rain on?"
"We jump up into a cloud, and turn the rain on."
"Can you jump up into a cloud?"
"If I in a helicopter I can jump up into a cloud."
"When you get in the cloud, how do you turn the rain on?"
"You see a rain thing, and turn it on!" (showing hand motions like he is turning on a faucet.)


6 comments:

Lindsey said...

Wait, you didn't tell us that name of the book you are reading. What is it?

kelsey said...

So what's the book? Much better to read than most of those other things, except maybe feeding your kids.

Mrs. Mike said...

"Wives and Daughters" by Elizabeth Gaskell. I also loved "North and South" by the same author. They are Jane Austen type novels, so if you like Jane Austen, give them a try.

DeCaires Family said...

Me too....I NEVER liked reading but find it so hard to stop once I get into a book. The last one I read in 2 days. Yep, Brian woke up at 2:30 in the morning and looked over at me and said....go to sleep! I was almost done...you know the feeling!

Samantha said...

OK I'm gonna go look up those books. Your kids are hilarious. I miss you guys so much. I wish we could come visit. So how is Japanese going? I think I exhibit some signs of addiction to working out/running, but not all, so I guess I'm not addicted.

Jeanne said...

We have the BBC movie broadcast (episodes on DVDs) of "Wives and Daughters". Is a favorite of mine. I also like "North and South" - have a DVD of that story too. On one of our DVDs there is a feature that tells all about author Elizabeth Gaskell's life - quite interesting. Jane Austen novels are my VERY favorite - have collected all the movies of her stories too. Love them all.