Thursday, August 25, 2011

First Day of School, Last Day of School

With Bear's fever gone, I sent him to school yesterday.  His teacher seems great and he enjoyed his first two days.  I think he will have a good year.

Why will he not just smile?

Beaver and I didn't really know what to do with ourselves the first day he was gone.  Today we got it together a little more and did some grocery shopping.

But.......it seems that Bear's second day of school will also be his last day for a little longer, at least.  He came home from school today with a notice that there was a reported case of Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease.  His fever has been gone for a couple of days, but as I read the symptoms, I thought, "hmmm......"  He didn't have any rash on his hands or feet, though, so surely his sickness was something else.  As we got ready to go upstairs for bed, suddenly he got upset and said that his mouth hurt a lot.  I dropped what I was doing and grabbed a flashlight.  Mike was home by now, so he looked in Bear's mouth and reported red spots.  Dang.  I feel like a jerk for sending him to school.  Not only for his sake, but for the sake of the other kids at school that he likely spread germs too.  Everyone in my neighborhood will know, too, because someone will likely call to see if we are okay when we aren't at the bus stop tomorrow, and I'll have to explain myself.  I'm sorry!  I can only plead ignorance!

1 comment:

Fran said...

So it was h,f,&m disease? Weird.